Now you’re in the second trimester, your baby bump is starting to show. But with it comes an added strain on your back. As your baby gets bigger, your posture changes and pregnancy hormones relax and loosen your joints, it’s important to know how to handle your changing body shape. Here are five ways to reduce the pressure.
- Relax and unwind - A gentle massage may temporarily ease the pain, soothe your muscles and increase blood flow. Lie on your side and ask your partner to gently knead or rub your back. Get them to start at the top of the back and massage the muscles either side of your spine.
- Sleep support: Sleeping on your side, rather than your back can help reduce lower back pain. Try bending one or both of your knees and placing a pillow underneath them to lift and reduce the strain on your back muscles.
- Gentle exercise: Regular gentle exercise can help support your back and keep your muscles strong. Walking or swimming are great ways to get moving during pregnancy – the buoyancy of water takes the strain off of your joints.
- Get the right footwear: While flat shoes may seem like the way forward as your bump grows, a slight heel and shoes with good arch support are much better for your back.
- Perfect your posture: As your bump gets bigger, your centre of gravity will move forward so you may find yourself leaning backwards slightly to rebalance yourself. This can strain your lower back, so it’s important to pay attention to your posture and stay balanced. You might need to adopt a wider stance, stand up straight and keep your shoulders back and relaxed. And remember, if it’s too much pressure on your back, it’s okay to sit down and rest.
If you’re worried about your back pain or if the above suggestions don’t help, don’t be afraid to ask your doctor or midwife for advice
Shop The Range of Mommy Care Products
Recommended for you
- Vitabiotics Vitabiotics Pregnacare Multivitamin & Multimineral 30 Capsules20.40 SAR
- Nexcare Nexcare Maternity Belt Support - Large189.75 SAR
- Baby Jem Baby Jem Back Support Pregnant & Feeding Pillow (Assorted)171.35 SAR
- Seven Seas Seven Seas Omega 3 Cod Liver Oil 120 Capsules115.40 SAR