What is dandruff and what causes it?
Dandruff is a condition of the scalp that causes flakes of dead skin’s cells to appear. It is often accompanied by irritation of the skin with itching.
The following are some of the causes of dandruff:
- Dandruff could be a genetic disease as usually it is found common among the same members of the one family.
- Experts believe it is a caused by the changes in the weather and temperature variations from season to season.
- Another cause for Dandruff is Malassezia a yeast like fungus that naturally lives on most adults’ scalps but in some cases it causes irritation and render dandruff. Malassezia feeds on the oils found on the scalp and can get worst if the person have a greasy scalp. More reasons for Dandruff to appear:
- Using unsuitable shampoos that contain ingredients may irritate sensitive scalps.
- Hormones changes specially during puberty. During this period hormones levels are high leading to the production of more oils or sebum that are more likely to be broken down into irritating agents to the scalp.
- Washing the hair with hot water.
- Lack of exposure to sunlight.
- Having skin diseases such Psoriasis and Eczema.
- Dryness of the scalp.
- Hair neglect by not washing it regularly.
Dandruff treatment with herbs and natural ingredients:
- Olive oil and baking soda: massage the scalp gently with olive oil and baking soda mixture. Olive oil works on making the dry scalp supple while baking soda works on cleansing the scalp and removing the accumulation of dandruff flacks. Olive oil, Almond oil and cinnamon treatment: Massage the scalp gently with this mixture to treat the scalp and make it tender and supple.
- Cider vinegar: dilute cider vinegar in equal amount of water, wash your hair and scalp with mixture and leave it for 15 minutes, then rinse it with cold water.
- Hair Lemon rinse: Dilute fresh lemon juice with water, rinse your hair and gently massage the scalp with it to provide natural treatment to the affected scalp.
- Yoghurt and lemon: make a mixture of lemon and yoghurt then massage your scalp gently then rinse it with cold water.
- Egg yolk: beat egg yolk and apply to the hair and scalp leave it for few minutes and wash your hair. Egg yolk is a good source of nutrition revitalising the hair and the scalp. Some of the important oils for moisturising the hair and the scalp:
- Oils extracted for tea tree.
- Aloe Vera which removes irritation reduce itching and make the scalp supple.
- Coconut oil. Fenugreek oil Almond oil.