Atomoxetine 18 mg hard capsules
What Atomoxetine is used for :
Atomoxetine is used to treat attention-deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
It is used:
• in children over six years of age
• in adolescents
• in adults
It is not for use as a treatment for ADHD in children under 6 years of age as it is not known if the medicine works or is safe in these people.
In adults, this medicine is used to treat ADHD when the symptoms are very troublesome and affect your work or social life and when you have had symptoms of the disease as a child.
Do not take Atomoxetine if you :
• Are allergic to atomoxetine or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
• Took a medicine known as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), for example phenelzine, in the last two weeks
• Have an eye disease called narrow-angle glaucoma
• Have serious problems with your heart which may be affected by an increase in heart rate and/or blood pressure
• Have serious problems with the blood vessels in your brain
• Have a tumor of your adrenal gland
Warnings and precautions :
Both adult and children should be aware of the following warnings and precautions. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Atomoxetine if you have:
• thoughts about killing yourself or trying to kill yourself
• problems with your heart or an increased heartbeat
• high blood pressure
• low blood pressure
• cardiovascular disease or past medical history of stroke
• liver problems
• mania and agitation
• aggressive feelings
• a history of epilepsy or have had seizures for any other reason
Possible side effects :
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Although some people get side effects most people find that Atomoxetine helps them. Some side effects could be serious. If you have any of the side effects below, see a doctor straight away.
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• feeling or having a very fast heartbeat
• thinking about or feeling like killing yourself
• feeling aggressive
• serious allergic reaction with symptoms of
• swelling of the face and throat
• difficulty breathing
• hives (small raised, itchy patches of skin)
Other medicines and Atomoxetine :
Do not take Atomoxetine with medicines called MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) used for depression.
If you are taking any of the following medicines, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Atomoxetine:
• medicines that increase blood pressure or are used to control blood pressure
• medicines such as antidepressants, for example imipramine, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, fluoxetine and paroxetine
• some cough and cold remedies which contain medicines that can affect blood pressure
• some medicines used to treat mental health conditions
• medicines that are known to increase the risk of seizures
• some medicines that cause Atomoxetine to stay in the body for longer than normal
How to take Atomoxetine :
Children should not take this medicine without the help from an adult.
If you are a child or adolescent (6 years or older):
• Body weight up to 70 kg: a starting total daily dose of 0.5mg per kg of body weight for a minimum of 7 days.
• Body weight over 70 kg: a starting total daily dose of 40mg for a minimum of 7 days.
Atomoxetine should be started at a total daily dose of 40mg for a minimum of 7 days.
How to store Atomoxetine :
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and blister after “EXP”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
This medicine does not require any special storage conditions.
Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.