Suprax 100 mg Suspension 60 ml
Home delivery within 2 hours
Free Delivery Above 100.00 SAR
Available for pick-up from the store
Cefixime oral suspension 100 mg/5 mL
What Cefixime is and what it is used for
• Cefixime is an orally active third generation cephalosporin antibiotic which has marked in vitro bactericidal activity against a wide variety of Gram-positive and Gram-negative organisms.
• It is indicated for the treatment of the following acute infections when caused by susceptible micro-organisms:
• Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTI): e.g. otitis media; and other URTI where the causative organism is known or suspected to be resistant to other commonly used antibiotics, or where treatment failure may carry significant risk.
• Lower Respiratory Tract Infection: e.g. bronchitis.
• Urinary Tract Infections: e.g. cystitis, cystourethritis, uncomplicated pyelonephritis.
What you need to know before you use Cefixime
Do not use Cefixime
If you are allergic to the active substances or any of the other ingredients of this medicine, or to any other cephalosporin or penicillin drugs
Warnings and precautions
• The dosage must be adjusted according to the grade of renal impairment
• Cefixime can predispose to encephalopathy risk (which may include convulsions, confusion, impairment of consciousness, movement disorders), particularly in case of overdose or renal impairment.
• Cefixime may cause acute renal failure
• A false positive reaction for glucose in the urine may occur with Benedict's or Fehling's solutions or with copper sulphate test tablets, but not with tests based on enzymatic glucose oxidase reactions.
• A false positive direct Coombs test has been reported during treatment with cephalosporin antibiotics, therefore it should be recognised that a positive Coombs test may be due to the drug.
Other medicines and Cefixime
• Regular monitoring of prothrombin time is required if Cefixime is combined with Warfarin
How to use Cefixime
• Cefixime is for oral use
• The usual course of treatment is 7 days. This may be continued for up to 14 days if required.
• Adults and Children over 10 Years or weighing more than 50 kg:
• The recommended adult dosage is 200-400 mg daily according to the severity of infection, given either as a single dose or in two divided doses.
• Elderly patients may be given the same dose as recommended for adults.
• Renal function should be assessed and dosage should be adjusted in severe renal impairment
• Children under 10 Years:
• Cefixime tablets 200 mg are not recommended for use in children under 10 years old.
• The safety and efficacy of cefixime has not been established in children less than 6 months.
Possible side effects
Stop using the product and seek immediate medical attention if you develop urticaria, rash, tightness of the chest, wheezing, hypotension
How to store Cefixime
• Store at room temperature away from light and moisture. Do not store above 25° C.
• Keep all medications away from children and pets. Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so.
• Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed.
- Manufacturer: Suprax
- Product form: Suspension
- Size: 60 ml
- Ingredients: Cefixime